Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Lesson from Grief

A month ago, my little brother, Michael Lewis Hunsaker, departed this life. A drunk driver hit the car my mother, sister and he were in. They survived. He did not.

Our sadness has spawned many tears. And I have felt the peace which passes understanding more times than I can count. We see too many small and simple signs that God used this tragedy to take Michael home. It was his time. And while we miss him more than we can say, there is a peace that accompanies this knowledge, and I truly have reason to live extremely well.

There are some strange lessons you learn through grief. I'd like to share just one of them. It is this: People mourn weird. And you have to learn how to graciously accept their offering.

People say things or give things that come from their hearts, and yet fall woefully short of being helpful. Afterwards you may shake your head or just laugh over the absurdity of it with your loved ones. Because there's not much you can do to stop this kind of thing. But man, I didn't really expect this to be one of the lessons to come out of death.

This card I found once sums it up pretty well:
(photo cred)
People mean well. And far and away most of them say and do things that truly help you bear your grief. But now and again, someone mourns weird. They are trying to help, and so you're at least thankful for that. And the laughing with your family about it afterwards? That's kind of a healing thing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment