Sunday, July 26, 2015

Bind up

Do you ever see the turmoil in another's soul and yearn to make it all better? I see fellow women, sisters, brothers, and men, friends and family, hurting and aching. Perceived and real injustices. Tragic health challenges. Selfishness. Thoughtlessness. Heartache.

When my little nine-month-old is sad, it's relatively easy for me to help make it better. She usually needs a hug and attention. Sometimes she just needs to be held or fed. Kisses and smooches go a long way to helping her feel at peace again.

With older humans, it seems not so simple.

I want to bind up the broken hearted. I want to proclaim liberty to the captive. I want to give praise for heaviness, beauty for ashes.

But I in my limited mortal mind haven't the foggiest idea of what to do.

Thankfully and joyfully, I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe that He suffered and died that He might know perfectly how to do all of those things: bind up, proclaim, and give. And because I believe those things, I also believe that He expects me to do what I can to aid Him in this work. And like the prophet Nephi, "I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

I am but a fallen mortal, who can do nothing of myself, but I wish to try. Do you want to try with me?


2 comments: